History of Walton County
Walton County was created by the Lottery Act of 1818, and was organized in 1819. Georgia’s 46th county was named for George Walton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, who also served as governor of Georgia and as a U.S. Senator.
Some of the communities in Walton County have very interesting names. Between was named by a postmaster because it was halfway between Monroe and Loganville, and Social Circle was possibly named for the first group of settlers who considered themselves a social circle and often passed around a “jug” of spirits.
Walton County has an unusually rich assemblage of historic sites and structures. Near Monroe is Jacks Creek, the site of the massacre by whites of a large encampment of Creek Indians in 1787. Some other historical sites worth visiting are the Brodnax House and Thompson’s Mill. The Walton County courthouse, built in 1883, is an outstanding example of the architectural style known as Second Empire and has been totally restored.
There are several famous citizens of Walton County, including seven other Georgia governors: James Boynton, Howell Cobb, Alfred Colquitt, Wilson Lumpkin, Henry McDaniel, Richard Russell, Jr., and Clifford Walker. Also from Walton County was Moira B. Michael, known as the “Poppy Lady.” She developed the symbol of the red Flanders Field Poppy as a memorial emblem for the veterans of wars.Monroe hosts the annual Crepe Myrtle Festival. Loganville and Social Circle also host festivals such as the popular Tour of Homes.
*reprinted from Georgia.gov website